Create a friendship that will last a lifetime.
iE-USA students participate in a Department of State sponsored cultural immersion program including academic, social and family components. Students attend high school in the US while living with a host family for 1 or 2 semesters.
Host families offer “family support” and may be of any make-up, including established singles and couples, domestic partnerships, and families with children of all ages.
Host families provide:
- A non-inflatable, permanent bed. Students may share a room with a host sibling of the same gender and similar age.
- Three meals a day. Students electing to purchase lunch at school instead of packing a lunch should also pay for that extra expense.
- Help with transportation at times, since students cannot drive. Students may ride the school bus and/or arrange to get rides from friends and neighbors.
Students become a real member of the family, adopting family rules and participating in family chores and activities.
- Their own spending money for all personal expenses including school and sports fees, personal entertainment, clothes, souvenirs, etc.
- Their own medical insurance.
Local Coordinators support both the exchange student and the host family throughout the exchange experience. He or she provides a welcome orientation for your family and student as well regular monthly check-ins. We also maintain a toll free family support hotline answered by a live person 24 hours a day.