Public Schools: Working with iE-USA

Accredited by the Council on Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET), we pride ourselves on being a hands-on organization that can provide 24-hour personal support to each of our students and families. A Local Coordinator from iE-USA will work closely with you in all steps of of the student's registration process and is available to address any questions or issues that may arise throughout the year.

iE-USA Services

  • iE-USA provides the school registrar with our iE Student Application Packet, including certified academic records, teacher recommendation letters and assessments of English level proficiency.
  • iE-USA screens and vets host families in compliance with U.S. Department of State regulations.
  • iE-USA students are covered by a comprehensive health insurance plan.
  • iE-USA Local Coordinators serve as the student's mentor, counselor and family representative throughout the exchange program.
  • iE-USA provides student and family orientations and ongoing support meetings throughout the exchange program.

School Requirements

  • The Department of State requires a School Acceptance Form to be signed and dated by a school officer or registration official before a student may depart from his or her country of origin. The iE-USA representative will provide the school with this form.
  • At the school's discretion, a student is enrolled in classes of the appropriate grade level based on academic history and student aptitude.
  • A student does not expect to receive a diploma or certificate of completion.

Student Visas

Most public school bound students travel on J-1 visas. A J-1 visa, regulated by the Department of State, is an educational visa that allows a student to live in the United States for an academic school year while he or she attends high school. An exchange student traveling on a J-1 visa must be between the ages of 15 and 18 and may not work while participating in an exchange program.